The church should be proud of the history and longevity of this organization. Chartered in 1863 as the Mission Free School, it began as a temporary home and school for children in distress. When the social climate changed and those services became redundant, the Mission Free School evolved into the current Foundation. The generous endowment of the original organization allows the Foundation to distribute funds exclusively for the benefit of children. Currently, fourteen agencies receive support from the Foundation in gifts totaling approximately $200,000 each year. Seven church members serve on the Board of the Foundation to supervise the investment of its assets and distribute funds according to its mission. Board members review the financial standings of the agencies and visit them periodically to stay familiar with their operations and use of the gifts.